The Philippines Society of Plumbing Engineers (PSPE), Inc. is an organization of Registered Master Plumbers (RMPs) who, at the same time, are holders of a legitimate Certificate of Registration of either Civil Engineers, Sanitary Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers or Architects and other baccalaureate degree holders who have specialization in plumbing technology. PSPE, Inc. was registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on February 13, 2004 under Company Registration No. CN200341645.
Based on the statistical record that there are ninety seven percent (97%) PRC-licensed engineers, architects, et al who are also RMPs, they have organized themselves under PSPE, Inc. with the objective of professionalizing the plumbing trade nationwide. It is unfortunate to state that up to this time, RMPs are looked down by other professions as mere craftsmen in the engineering design and construction industry.
PSPE, Inc. aims to revitalize and enhance the plumbing engineering profession in order to cope up with the responsibilities brought about by the new rules as defined in the Revised National Building Code. Considering that there are only three percent (3%) RMPs who are not engineers, architects, et al, the Plumbing Law (R.A. 1378) is being lobbied for repeal by an appropriate Plumbing Engineering Law wherein the realm and context of the plumbing engineering profession will be aligned with educational attainment and professional practice.
The burgeoning plumbing systems design and construction industry dramatizes an utmost need for the proactive participation of RMPs with good engineering background in order to cope up with new and modern technologies. RMPs without such background will just be at the disadvantage due to educational attainment inadequacy. Even the current members of the Board of Master Plumbing, Professional Regulation Commission (BOMP, PRC) are hand tied in pursuing higher level of plumbing engineering examinations due to the limited scope of subjects prescribed by R.A. 1378 which are for the prospective RMPs who are high school graduates only. Perhaps, it is prudent to state that R.A. 1378 has become outdated, outmoded and out-of-pace in addressing and embracing the complexing structure and advancing technology of plumbing systems.
The rapid trends of urbanization continues and communities grow into dynamic population centers which then increase the demand for sound architectural and engineering works that transcends to all its allied engineering services in general and to plumbing engineering services in particular.
PSPE, Inc. is governed by the provisions of its By-laws for which, under Section 2 thereof, outline and enumerate the following goals:
- To establish, register and gain public acceptance of the society’s certification mark indicative of a specific degree of professional expertise.
- To enhance the interests of its members through continuous development of their technical expertise thereby enabling them to adequately perform the responsibilities of their plumbing engineering profession.
- To promote research works in the field of plumbing engineering thereby widening the breadth of their professional knowledge and expertise.
- To continuously uplift the plumbing engineering profession for the benefit of the general public.
- To foster wholehearted cooperation, tangible interaction and mutual understanding among its members, regulatory officials having jurisdiction and members of other allied professional organizations.
- To advance the general scientific interests and education of the plumbing practitioners.
- To inculcate among its members an ardent desire for scientific and innovative breakthroughs in the plumbing profession.
- To provide appropriate recognition to significant accomplishments by its members in the field of plumbing engineering.
- To facilitate an exchange of information and awareness among its members regarding best practices, legal and moral responsibilities/accountabilities, statistical research, governmental regulations, compliance to standards and/or certifications, standardized methods of keeping books and records and topics of related interests.
- To encourage participation of its members on any public interest such as code committees, standards committees, etc.
Article IV and Sections 1 to 5 thereof of PSPE, Inc.’s By-laws define the following duties of its officers to which they religiously adhere to with utmost dedication in order to acquire clear cut directions towards the realization of the above-enumerated goals:
- It shall be the duty of the President to preside in all conventions; to preside in all regular and special meetings of the Board of Directors; to serve as the chairman of the Board of Directors; to administer the affairs of PSPE, Inc. in conformity with its By-laws; to appoint all committee members not otherwise provided for; to serve as ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee; and to perform such other duties the Office of the President may require.
The President shall submit the proposed budget for the next fiscal year to the Board of Directors on or before October 1 of the current fiscal year. The approved budget shall be used by the Treasurer and the Board of Directors for fund allocations for the appropriate fiscal year.
- In the absence of the President, the Vice President, Technical shall perform all the duties of the President; shall have all the powers thereof when so acting; shall be subjected to all the restrictions of the President; and shall be responsible for planning, organizing and directing the technical activities of PSPE, Inc.
- The Vice President, Education shall be responsible for the educational and professional development programs of PSPE, Inc.
- The Vice President, Membership shall be responsible for recruiting new members, approving new member applications, planning all membership activities and maintaining a file of members.
- The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping the minutes of the convention, the minutes of the Board of Directors’ meetings and all official correspondences; shall be responsible for notifying all members by mail about all meetings or official activities at least seven (7) calendar days prior thereto and setting forth therein the time, place and program; shall distribute copies of the minutes of board meetings to each board member including all reports made to the board within fifteen (15) calendar days following each board meeting; shall keep the seal of PSPE, Inc. and affix such seal to any document or instrument when so required; shall keep all corresponding files and all other documents that are to be safekept by the Treasurer; shall be responsible in keeping and maintaining the 201 files of the membership roster; and shall perform other duties and responsibilities assigned by the Board of Directors from time to time.
- The Treasurer shall be in charge of the funds, receipts and disbursements of PSPE, Inc.; shall keep all funds and other valuables in such bank or banks designated by the Board of Directors; shall keep and be in charge of the book of accounts which shall be opened for audit by any board member or the general membership; shall be always ready to present the financial condition of PSPE, Inc. including all transactions that are made and entered therein; and shall perform other duties and functions assigned by the Board of Directors from time to time.
- The Auditor shall examine the financial records and transactions that are entered into by PSPE, Inc. and also perform other duties and functions assigned by the Board of Directors from time to time.
- The Public Relations Officer shall be responsible in all advertisements and promotions of all plans and programs of PSPE, Inc.; shall be responsible in disseminating news and press releases to all members and/or prospective members; and shall undertake activities that will generate public interest and favorable appreciations to all concerned.
PSPE, Inc. is set to establish communication line not only to all its members but to everybody for that matter through news letter medium in order to disseminate information or developments in the plumbing engineering profession. It will also invite its general membership to send in their comments or suggestions for the improvement of the plumbing engineering profession.
4. Continuing Professional Education (CPE)
PSPE, Inc. aims to lay down programs in upgrading skills through seminars and has adopted policies, measures, rules and regulations as may be deemed proper for the enhancement of the plumbing engineering profession and/or the sustainability of highly professional ethics and technical standards for the protection of public welfare, life, health and properties.
It will also pursue CPE and will persuade its members to consider such undertakings as their means top attain excellence in their professional practice. It will exert relentless efforts in making its CPE programs attune to new knowledge techniques and applications so that its members will be kept abreast with new developments in different phases and facets of the plumbing engineering profession. It perceives CPE as one of the effective avenues in updating not only its members but other plumbing systems technology practitioners as well with the latest innovations and advancements in the field of plumbing engineering.
For the purpose, CPE credits system will be patterned to follow implementing rules and guidelines adopted by other professional organizations.
5. Professional Linkages, Cooperation and Collaboration
Pursuing its goal of advancing the general scientific interest and education of the plumbing practitioners, PSPE, Inc. will wholeheartedly cooperate with other allied professional organizations, regulatory officials and the general public in propagating the effectiveness of the plumbing engineering profession. It will endeavor to keep abreast with the latest developments in plumbing engineering technology through information and experience sharing with national and/or international plumbing practitioners, other allied engineering professionals and manufacturers/suppliers of various plumbing materials, tools and equipment. It will also lend technological and moral support to prospective plumbing practitioners and plumbing engineering students through mentoring and coaching methodologies. It will likewise endeavor for the publication of new techniques, best practices and other informative articles pertinent to the plumbing engineering profession for a nationwide information and awareness coverage.
6. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
PSPE, Inc. affirms its commitment in fostering cooperation, harmonious relation, business goodwill and collective understanding among its members, plumbing regulatory officials and other allied professionals with whom they interact as partners in uplifting the practice of the plumbing engineering profession.
PSPE, Inc. is also cognizant of the fact that it has the prime duty to look after the welfare of and lend support to each member technically and morally.
PSPE, Inc. recognizes its pivotal role in promoting the universality, similarity and commonness of the harmonized Code of Standards among participating countries which has to be adopted as applied to the plumbing engineering profession in consonance with Article VII of the General Agreement on Trade and Services (GATS) to which the Philippines is a signatory member.
PSPE, Inc. advocates the formal offering of a 5-year Bachelor of Science in Plumbing Engineering (B.S.P.E.) course in engineering colleges and universities to academically uplift the plumbing engineering profession and make it on par with other allied engineering professions. It’s almost fifty (50) years ago when Feati University offered a 2-year Associate in Plumbing Engineering course in 1969 but it was eventually closed due to very few takers of the course at that time.
= = = o 0 o = = =